Loan of Personal Property to Another Institution

Request for Loan Form

Personal property includes all materials, supplies, furniture, equipment, printing, stationery, automotive and road equipment and all other chattels, goods, wares and merchandise whatsoever, regardless of cost. Title and ownership to all property purchased with the University’s funds or otherwise acquired shall vest in the University, except for property purchased in accordance with specially donated or restricted funds providing for other ownership.

UNL personal property may only be loaned to another institution by completing the following steps:

  1. Prepare a formal written request for the loan of the personal property from UNL to the intended receiving institution. The request should contain the following:
    1. Reason for Loan (include whether or not equipment could be used by other UNL personnel in department or college)
    2. Item description (include make and model)
    3. Date of purchase
    4. Serial number
    5. UNL Inventory Tag Number
    6. Source of funding for original purchase (include cost object)
    7. Current location of property
    8. Name and address of institution to receive loan
    9. Dollar amount to be paid by receiving institution for loaned property
    10. Date equipment is to be returned to UNL
    11. Signature of requestor
    12. Written acknowledgement from the receiving institution's Vice president/Vice Chancellor or their designee confirming the institutions of the established return date, acceptance of responsibility for any repair/replacement that may be required as a result of the loan and acknowledgement of responsibility for all related shipping and insurance costs relating to delivery and return of equipment.
  2. Signature approval section must be completed, prior to the proposed loan, from the following:
    1. Department Chair
    2. Dean
    3. Vice Chancellor for Research
    4. Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance
    5. Office of Sponsored Programs
  3. The completed document must then be forwarded to the Inventory Department for documentation of the item status in University records.

If there are questions regarding this policy, please contact the Inventory, Surplus & Asset Management Department at 402.472.1550 or email.

See also: Transfer of Property to Another Institution