Property that cannot be located must be accounted for by the department. There are several ways to account for missing property:

  1. Produce a copy of a signed “Request for Pickup-Surplus/Excess Property” form showing the item was returned to Inventory. Forms are available in the Business forms section of SAPPHIRE (UNL Business Forms > Procurement > Inventory > Request for Pickup-Surplus/Excess Property).
  2. Produce a copy of an “Incident Report” from the University Police Department showing the item reported as stolen.
  3. Attach a letter from the department head stating that the item cannot be located. Cite specific and valid reasons why the item should be deleted from the inventory listing.
  4. Missing property for item #3 above is approved by the Associate Vice Chancellor for University Operations prior to deletion from the inventory records.