No department/individual is allowed to remove or haul scrap metal (including valuable metals such as copper, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, iron, etc.) off campus to any recycler without “prior notification to” and “authorization from” the UNL Inventory Surplus & Asset Management Department. 

It is the responsibility of the department/individual to send an email to UNL Inventory that includes the following information:

  • The date scrap is to be hauled,
  • The recycler you have chosen,
  • The cost center number you want funds deposited to.

E-mails must be sent to John Lohmeier at unl_Inventory. Upon review, you will receive notification to proceed. 

In addition to the above, please note the following guidelines;

  • All scrap “must” be transported in a University vehicle. (No personal vehicles allowed)
  • Personnel hauling scrap are asked by recyclers for UNL Identification and may be subject to being fingerprinted.  You are to provide this information regardless of any circumstances.
  • It is the department’s responsibility to supply the recycler a name and departmental description for the comments section of the scale tickets.  (UNL Inventory needs to have this information for the transfer of funds).
  • If it is determined the scrap metal has no value, or otherwise cannot be sold, the department generating the scrap will be responsible for its disposal and any associated costs.
  • Some recyclers will provide a collection container (bin/box/roll off) at minimal or no cost “if” materials meet certain criteria.  Notification “must” be sent via e-mail to UNL Inventory regarding the date the recycler picks up these containers, the recycler used, and cost center number.

Recycler/Payment Options:

  • Option 1: For the Lincoln area:
    • If you choose to haul scrap metal to Alter Scrap Company, they will send the funds and scale tickets directly to UNL Inventory on a monthly basis.  Upon receipt of these funds, UNL Inventory will deposit and transfer them to your department.  UNL Inventory strongly suggests this option.
  • Option 2: Lincoln, or other locations:
    • If you decide to use another recycler, or you are outside of the Lincoln area, “All” payments from the recycler must be in the form of a check made out to “University of Nebraska Inventory Surplus & Asset Management and identifying your department’s name on the check.
    • All checks (along with an attached scale ticket) must be sent to Inventory Surplus & Asset Management for deposit.  Upon receipt of the check, UNL Inventory will then reimburse the department, minus any expenses incurred.

    The University reserves the right to dispose of scrap metal by bidding through Procurement Services with the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Business and Finance, or the Director of Procurement Services.

    In the case of potentially hazardous property, disposal will be made with the assistance of the Environmental Health & Safety Department.